Welcome! Come share my tasty, lip-smacking recipes, that are crunchy-on-the-outside, chewy-on-the-inside, and without a single natural ingredient or essential vitamin to get in the way of the rich, fudgy taste. Enjoy!

DISCLAIMER: Some of the following recipes may actually be healthy.

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Mulled Apple Cider

I've been making this during the holidays for several years now. It's super easy and seems to be crowd pleasing. You can make it in a crockpot, which is my preferred method, or on the stovetop. This year I made way more than we needed for Thanksgiving and so I have almost a gallon in my fridge. I developed this really bad cough with everyone over spreading around their nasty foreign germs. Sucking down cough drops to get to sleep has irritated both my throat and my tongue. This cider seems to be one of the only things that soothes the irritation and I can't help but feel like the goodness of the apples helps crutch up my immune system. Aside from being witch-doctorish medicinal it is really tasty and refreshing both steaming hot and cold straight out of the fridge. I'm going to freeze maybe a half gallon to take along with us when we go to my brother-in-law's at Christmas. I have no don't that it will freeze well once strained but I'll get back with you on that.

Makes ~1 gallon, can be doubled

1 gal apple cider
1/3 -½ c. maple syrup, depending on taste
3 or 4 - 4" cinnamon sticks, broken
1 tsp whole allspice berries
1 tsp whole cloves
1 tsp vanilla extract OR 1 vanilla bean, split
1 orange, unpeeled, sliced

Place all ingredients in crockpot or large non-reactive pot. Any leftover cider can be added in later or saved for another use.
Heat in crockpot on HIGH ~2 hrs.
If using stovetop method; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer ~10 min. Remove pot from heat and let stand ~15 min before serving.
Keep warm not more than 8 hrs. Cider will become bitter if heated too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please write your comment in English, if possible, esp. if you want me to reply. All comments made on posts older than a week will take a few hours to post.