Welcome! Come share my tasty, lip-smacking recipes, that are crunchy-on-the-outside, chewy-on-the-inside, and without a single natural ingredient or essential vitamin to get in the way of the rich, fudgy taste. Enjoy!

DISCLAIMER: Some of the following recipes may actually be healthy.

Monday, December 15, 2008

Tuscan Bean Soup

I don't think I ever had bean soup until I met my husband. Come to think of it, we didn't really eat soup very much in my family unless someone was sick. My husband's family on the other hand had lived for years in Michigan before coming to Alabama so they were big bean and cabbage soup people. Being his high school sweetheart, I would sup with his family pretty often during my formidable years, therefore, my first navy bean soup was his Mom's. To tell the truth, I didn't much care for it. There was a strong, bland, bean flavor and, well, that was pretty much it; no other seasoning, not even a nice hunk of fat back. Even after we got married my husband would beg for me to make bean soup. Nah, let's have something else.

Finally, I gave in. I was determined that if I was going to eat it then the recipe would have to change. Honestly, it wouldn't have to change very much to be better. I poured over my books and the Internet searching for something more appealing to me. Eventually, I found it. An Italian twist, a lighter, more flavorful soup. Over the years I've tweaked and adjusted it to our tastes. I actually couldn't tell you where I first came by this recipe or, probably more accurately, which originals I combined. Nevertheless, I am pleased to tell you that I actually enjoy bean soup now.

The bacon and thyme lend a smoky, savory flavor and aroma that I just love. In the past, I have forgotten to brown the bacon and instead just tossed it in with the veggies. This gives it a more...soft quality, more like meltingly delicious and opposed to finite tasty bits. Both ways are good. By pureeing half of the beans, the soup takes on a silky texture and feels heartier without the addition of thickeners, which is good because who needs those extra carbs anyway? Soups are great because they are perfect make ahead meals. There is really nothing more satisfying than to come home after a long, cold day and have a warm bowl of home-made soup in the time that it takes to warm it in the microwave. Additionally, the longer the flavors marry the better the soup will be. I've made this 3 or 4 days in advance and it was great. Not to say that I wouldn't devour it when freshly made, especially in the company of some fresh from the oven Italian bread. You could probably make this in a slow cooker but I usually just make it on the stove because it only takes about 30 min, give or take.

Serves 4-6
½ lb bacon, chopped
2 cans cannellini or other white bean, rinsed and drained
1 bay leaf
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped or shredded
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
1 can Roma tomatoes, smashed and drained
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 tsp fresh thyme (½ tsp dried leaves)
3½ c. chicken broth
salt and pepper, to taste
olive oil (opt.)
  1. Brown bacon in soup pot or dutch oven until crispy.
  2. Add the onion, celery and carrot.
  3. Cook 5 min over med-high heat.
  4. Add tomatoes, garlic and thyme.
  5. Continue cooking until tender. Do not burn garlic.
  6. Add broth and bay leaf.
  7. Reduce heat to med-low and begin simmering.
  8. Meanwhile, process 1 can of beans in food processor until smooth. You can add ½ c. chicken broth to make it easier.
  9. Pour beans and bean puree into soup carefully.
  10. Season to taste.
  11. Continue simmering, covered, ~20 min or until the flavors are blended.
  12. Remove and discard bay leaf.
  13. Just before serving, drizzle olive oil over soup in serving bowls, if desired.
  14. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please write your comment in English, if possible, esp. if you want me to reply. All comments made on posts older than a week will take a few hours to post.