Welcome! Come share my tasty, lip-smacking recipes, that are crunchy-on-the-outside, chewy-on-the-inside, and without a single natural ingredient or essential vitamin to get in the way of the rich, fudgy taste. Enjoy!

DISCLAIMER: Some of the following recipes may actually be healthy.

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Potato Skins

Very nearly every time we eat out our appetizer is one of three choices: mozzarella sticks, some sort of cheese dip or potato skins. Potato skins always get my vote, granted I'd most prefer spinach dip or salsa but those are simply NOT on the menu as far as my husband is concerned. I love how the crisp potato skin complements the ooey, gooey cheese and bacon filling. And, of course, anything served with sour cream is excellent. You can buy frozen potato skins at the grocery store now days but they are, well, kind of expensive for what you get. I've found an easy, quick way for making them at home.

I used to try baking the potatoes first, which always left me with an hour and a half wait coupled with either burnt skins or powdery, over-cooked potato. My wanting to start the potato skins this way always kind of baffled me because I always make our "baked" potatoes in the microwave. With that in mind, I tried something different this weekend. I cooked the potatoes almost done in the microwave then finished them in the oven. Perfect and in under a half hour. You can up the cheese to ½ lb if you like them overflowing with cheesy goodness.

Serves 3 - 5, as an appetizer
5 medium potatoes, scrubbed clean with a towel or brush. They must not be wet.
1/3 lb cheddar cheese, shredded
¼ lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
sour cream (opt.)
  1. Preheat oven 450°F.
  2. Place the potatoes evenly around the microwave. Try to place them so they don't touch each other. Do not prick them. I promise they won't explode.
  3. Cook on HIGH for 6-8 min or until almost done.
  4. Meanwhile, toss the bacon and cheese together in a small bowl.
  5. Remove potatoes from microwave and slice each in half, length-wise.
  6. Place each half, cut side up, on a baking sheet.
  7. With a small spoon, scoop out the middle of each half, leaving about ¼" edge. Be careful not to go all the way through the skin. Reserve potato innards for another use.
  8. Fill each cavity with the bacon/cheese mixture.
  9. Bake for 15 - 20 min or until cheese is melted and skins are crisp.
  10. Serve with sour cream, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please write your comment in English, if possible, esp. if you want me to reply. All comments made on posts older than a week will take a few hours to post.