Welcome! Come share my tasty, lip-smacking recipes, that are crunchy-on-the-outside, chewy-on-the-inside, and without a single natural ingredient or essential vitamin to get in the way of the rich, fudgy taste. Enjoy!

DISCLAIMER: Some of the following recipes may actually be healthy.

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Shepard's Pie

We've been eating out a lot lately due to the fact that we've been spending so much time planning our up-coming camping trip. Well, I was just absolutely tired of take-out. It was all starting to taste the same even though we we have plenty of choices. I wanted something homey and comforting. Looking back, this is probably the first time in my life that I've ever had Shepard's Pie. Now, my version would probably be more aptly called Cottage Pie or some such because it doesn't actually use lamb. My husband, however, refuses to call it anything except Shepard's Pie, so, Shepard's Pie it is. Although I feel like this recipe is more or less traditional, it is a mishmash of several recipes that I came across. I felt like it need a bottom crust but just could not bring myself to making a pasty dough. After throwing several ideas around I settled on pressed stuffing. It was pretty funny. I brought everything home from the store and laid it all out on the counter. Because I was in a hurry, I called my hubby in to help prepare it. He takes one look at the stuffing mix, glances at me and asks what it's for. "The shepard's pie, of course." A second or two goes by. I could see the confusion working across his face. Then, he responds with, "But we don't like stuffing..."

We really liked this casserole though. Normally, my husband and I will eat about half of any given casserole and then it just sits in its little chilled tomb until I either throw it away or feed it to the dogs. This time though, and maybe it was the take-out rut, but the 13x9" pie was gone in 3 days. I've been thinking a lot about making a version using chicken and chicken gravy instead of beef. Hmm, maybe this next week.

There are essentially 3 components to this casserole. 1. pressed stuffing crust 2. beef and veggie filling 3. mashed potato topping. I used instant mashed potatoes simply for convenience. It was 6PM after working a busy day and skipping lunch. If you have the time, make up some tasty real mashed potatoes by all means.

Serves 6-8

Preheat oven 350°.

Crust
6 oz package stuffing mix (I used cornbread flavor.)
1 c. water
2 tbsp butter
  1. Combine all ingredients in a small microwave safe bowl.
  2. Cover, heat on HIGH ~4min. Stir.
  3. Pour stuffing into greased 13x9" baking dish. Cover surface with plastic wrap and press mixture firmly into pan, forming a crust. Remove plastic and set aside.
Topping

Make 8 servings, about 4 c., of mashed potatoes. Then before baking add in one egg yolk and 4 oz shredded cheese.

Here's what we did: When making instant potatoes, we always use Hungry Jack brand.
2 2/3 c. instant mashed potato flakes
1 1/3 cup half & half
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp mayonnaise
2 1/2 c. water
1 egg yolk
4 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
  1. Combine flakes, half & half, salt, butter, mayo, and water in a medium microwave safe bowl. Cover, heat in microwave on HIGH 5 min.
  2. Add cheese and egg yolk. Stir well.
  3. Set aside.
Filling
1 lb ground chuck
1/2 tsp black pepper
16 oz package frozen peas and carrots
12 oz jar brown gravy (I used Heinz Homestyle Brown with Onions)
6 oz water
  1. In a large saucepan, season beef with pepper and brown. Drain grease off.
  2. Add peas and carrots, gravy and water. Stir gently.
  3. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until peas are hot to the touch, about 5 min.
To Assemble
  1. Pour filling evenly over crust.
  2. Spread mashed potatoes evenly over filling.
  3. Sprinkle with additional shredded cheese. (Optional)
  4. Bake 25 min or until bubbly and potatoes are just starting to brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please write your comment in English, if possible, esp. if you want me to reply. All comments made on posts older than a week will take a few hours to post.