Welcome! Come share my tasty, lip-smacking recipes, that are crunchy-on-the-outside, chewy-on-the-inside, and without a single natural ingredient or essential vitamin to get in the way of the rich, fudgy taste. Enjoy!

DISCLAIMER: Some of the following recipes may actually be healthy.

Monday, September 22, 2008

The Ever Elusive Meatloaf

A great meatloaf recipe is like my own personal holy grail, a great treasure but never quite achieved. Both of my parents are excellent cooks. When I was a kid my Mama owned several classic recipe books, including the prerequisite giant Betty Crocker tome, stuffed full of clippings and notes. None of these was I actually allowed to touch. It was the Calling All Cooks, dogeared and slightly grimy from my Daddy's fingers, that was the first recipe book that I remember using. This book was relegated to him because the recipes were reader submitted which meant risky. Mama was and still is very practical and no nonsense when it comes to cooking. She simply didn't have time to fiddle with an untested recipe and then likely see it fail. Daddy was different. He saw it as a challenge. I think my enjoyment of all things culinary, that calming feeling of getting lost in cooking and of pouring over recipes, first began to take shape when serving as a sous chef in my Daddy's kitchen. Over the years I have tweaked and altered a recipe that came from the yellow Calling All Cooks until it really no longer resembles its origin. While it is good and receives gracious compliments from my friends and family, I still feel unsatisfied and will continue my seemingly never-ending quest.

Serves 4-6


Meatloaf
2 tbsp butter
1 large onion, finely chopped; reserve 1/4 c. for glaze
½ green bell pepper, finely chopped, reserve 2 tbsp for glaze
1 ½ tsp garlic, minced

2 eggs
¼ c. ketchup

1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

½ c. heavy cream

2 c. fresh breadcrumbs

1 lb ground chuck

½ lb ground pork
1 packet beefy onion soup mix

¼ tsp pepper
  1. In a skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
  2. Add onions and bell pepper.
  3. Cook until vegetables are softened.
  4. Add garlic and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
  5. Remove from the heat. Set aside to cool slightly.
  6. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
  7. In a large bowl, combine all remaining ingredients and vegetable mixture.
  8. Mix until just combined well. Do not over mix.
  9. Press meat mixture firmly into a large loaf pan.
  10. Top with glaze if desired.
  11. Bake 45 min - 1 hour or until sauce is glazed and meatloaf is done through.
  12. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Glaze
¼ c. canned tomatoes, chopped or crushed
¼ c. onion, finely chopped

2 tbsp green bell pepper, finely chopped

½ tsp garlic, minced

¼ c. canned tomato soup

½ tsp Worcestershire sauce

2 tsp red wine vinegar

¼ tsp pepper
  1. In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix well.
  2. Pour the sauce over the uncooked meatloaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please write your comment in English, if possible, esp. if you want me to reply. All comments made on posts older than a week will take a few hours to post.