Welcome! Come share my tasty, lip-smacking recipes, that are crunchy-on-the-outside, chewy-on-the-inside, and without a single natural ingredient or essential vitamin to get in the way of the rich, fudgy taste. Enjoy!

DISCLAIMER: Some of the following recipes may actually be healthy.

Monday, August 11, 2008

Stand Mixer vs. Food Processor - The Quick and Dirty Version
















I have had many friends ask me over the years if they were to buy only one kitchen accessory which would be a better buy, a stand mixer or a food processor. That's a really hard, complicated question and it often flusters me. I've thought long and hard about this quandary. Here, finally, are my thoughts and opinions. Since I own a KitchenAid Classic Stand Mixer and a Cuisinart Pro Custom 11-Cup Food Processor these are what I will refer most to.

Usually the first thing I reply with when asked this question is "well, what kind of cooking do you mostly do?". This may seem like a broad question but if you do mostly baking (cakes, pastries, cookies, etc.), then in my opinion a mixer would be better because it will give your poor mixing spoon and arm a vacation. Not that having Popeye arms are a bad thing but letting the machine do the kneading makes the experience so much more relaxing. Now, if you prepare lots of stir-frys, salads, purees, and like to grind your ingredients to a pulp then a food processor would be a more suitable choice. A food processor will shred 8 oz of cheese in about 10 seconds. I don't mean to undercut the single most valuable skill that one can have in the kitchen, knife-work. Sometimes, though, when you get home from work late and you're tired you just want it chopped or sliced up, the faster, the better.

I have been really fortunate to have received both a KitchenAid Stand Mixer and a Cuisinart Food Processor as gifts. This brings us to my second reply to people, "how much do you plan to spend?". Most high quality stand mixers have essentially the same features: a choice of color (KitchenAid has over 50 to choose from), dishwasher-safe, variable speed adjustment, tilt head, attachments (mixer blade, dough hook, whisk, etc.), and different accessories that fit into the power shaft of the motor via a hub. These accessories are usually sold individually but Amazon.com has a nifty package deal. Most "professional" models also feature a bowl-lift, which is handy for adding ingredients but in my opinion, unnecessary.

The main variable that affects cost is power. The more watts that a mixer has the stronger and subsequently, the more expensive. KitchenAid has 3 different models: Classic-250 watts, ~$200; Artisan-325 watts, ~$275; and Professional-575 watts, ~$300. Viking makes 2 impressive models one with 800 watts (~$400) and the other with 1000 (~$525). I've been more than happy with my Classic for about 9 years now. No problems. I've even made large batches of cookie dough (enough for 7 dozen) in my 4 ½ quart bowl and been fine. The only concern that I have ever had was when making brioche. I was supposed to let the machine knead the dough for 20 min. After about 10, the motor started to get hot and in an attempt to protect my baby I finished it by hand. If you make a lot really stiff doughs that you'd rather not mix by hand, choose a higher wattage.

On to food processors. Generally you'd want only as large as you need because excess volume only leads to needless counter-space loss, fruitless cleanup and energy loss. Food processorsCuisinart Pro Custom 11-Cup
range from minis (~$30) to large 20 cup monsters (~$800). The like I have runs about $160. Obviously, the more stuff that you put into the bowl the harder the blade must turn, but it's all relative. Generally, unless you're talking about a mini-chopper or a handheld version then the power is going to be pretty consistent across different brands. Most include a chopping blade, and slicing/shredding discs with a detachable disc stem. What you're really paying for is the larger capacity and the additional convenience features such as extra-large feed tubes (which supposedly hold whole fruits and vegetables, although I have never been able to fit anything whole in mine), different blades, such as the dough blade, and alternate speeds. Most models are either ON/OFF or Pulse. Every brand that I have ever seen comes with a non-breakable, dishwasher-safe bowl and feeding tube.

I hope this helps. If you do a fair amount of cooking and can afford it I would get both a stand mixer and a food processor. Otherwise, you'll have to weigh your options, desires, and needs and choose for yourself. Good luck and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please write your comment in English, if possible, esp. if you want me to reply. All comments made on posts older than a week will take a few hours to post.